Wittenberg
Being the case that I am late on my posting, I will be brief in journaling so I can speed you up to date with my happenings. The pictures below are from Lutherstadt-Wittenberg.
To be honest, apart from the Reformation history, I didn’t really like Wittenberg. The layout of the town was awful and it just was not as quaint as Eisenach or Erfurt. At the Lutherhaus, there is a delightful museum dedicated to the German reformer with many interesting items and artifacts, not only from Luther, but from the period.
I saw a first edition Luther Bible in High German, a robe said to be Luther’s, the ruins of Luther’s study from which he “stormed the papacy.”
I also visited the Melanchthon home and Lucas Cranach’s home. Both places had museums, but they were not nearly as interesting as the one in Luther’s home.
The next stop was the Town Hall Church where Luther and Catherina Von Bora were married.
The final stop was the Castle Church in Wittenberg, the place where Luther nailed his 95 theses sparking one of the greatest phases of church history.
Of course, the door isn’t original, but it was still neat to look at. Inside the church, you’ll find the graves of both Luther and Melanchthon. Luther’s tomb is right beneath the pulpit of the church where he requested it.
Wittenberg marks the end of my travels on the Luther trail.
I must say that besides Edinburgh, this was my favorite part of the trip. Not only was I able to relax and get away from the hustle and bustle of the bigger cities, but I was able to discover the world of one of the greatest men in history. Of course Luther wouldn’t have claimed thus. He saw himself as guilty, guilty, most guilty, but I think the Church today has something to learn from the fear of God that Luther had, the knowledge that our God is most holy.
Justification by faith alone. It is the article on which the Church stands or falls. But it’s also the article on which the Church begins, justification by faith alone in Christ alone. You can’t help but wonder where the Church would be at today if it hadn’t been for God’s providential grace working through the men of the Reformation. After centuries of deformation, men of God, guided by the Holy Spirit, rediscovered the truths of Scripture and began to bring the church back to the basics, back to the source, ad fontes.
I am reminded of the hymn “Faith of our Fathers.” I posted earlier about the fact that I was going to Europe to rediscover my roots, my heritage. I didn’t reach Geneva or Zurich, but I made it to many places where the Church stood fast against some of the devil’s most furious attacks. I am thankful that God has brought me here to this point. He has used this trip as a lesson in His providence, not only in the here and now by guiding me safely through some dangerous parts of Europe, but by showing me His faithfulness throughout the generations. It is my hope that He will continue His work in me and that I will be true to death to the faith of my fathers like the many saints of the Reformation.
Luther's house
Two German Reformation homies
Melanchton's house

Cranach's house
Luther's Oak
Luther's tomb
Castle Church
To be honest, apart from the Reformation history, I didn’t really like Wittenberg. The layout of the town was awful and it just was not as quaint as Eisenach or Erfurt. At the Lutherhaus, there is a delightful museum dedicated to the German reformer with many interesting items and artifacts, not only from Luther, but from the period.
I saw a first edition Luther Bible in High German, a robe said to be Luther’s, the ruins of Luther’s study from which he “stormed the papacy.”
I also visited the Melanchthon home and Lucas Cranach’s home. Both places had museums, but they were not nearly as interesting as the one in Luther’s home.
The next stop was the Town Hall Church where Luther and Catherina Von Bora were married.
The final stop was the Castle Church in Wittenberg, the place where Luther nailed his 95 theses sparking one of the greatest phases of church history.
Of course, the door isn’t original, but it was still neat to look at. Inside the church, you’ll find the graves of both Luther and Melanchthon. Luther’s tomb is right beneath the pulpit of the church where he requested it.
Wittenberg marks the end of my travels on the Luther trail.
I must say that besides Edinburgh, this was my favorite part of the trip. Not only was I able to relax and get away from the hustle and bustle of the bigger cities, but I was able to discover the world of one of the greatest men in history. Of course Luther wouldn’t have claimed thus. He saw himself as guilty, guilty, most guilty, but I think the Church today has something to learn from the fear of God that Luther had, the knowledge that our God is most holy.
Justification by faith alone. It is the article on which the Church stands or falls. But it’s also the article on which the Church begins, justification by faith alone in Christ alone. You can’t help but wonder where the Church would be at today if it hadn’t been for God’s providential grace working through the men of the Reformation. After centuries of deformation, men of God, guided by the Holy Spirit, rediscovered the truths of Scripture and began to bring the church back to the basics, back to the source, ad fontes.
I am reminded of the hymn “Faith of our Fathers.” I posted earlier about the fact that I was going to Europe to rediscover my roots, my heritage. I didn’t reach Geneva or Zurich, but I made it to many places where the Church stood fast against some of the devil’s most furious attacks. I am thankful that God has brought me here to this point. He has used this trip as a lesson in His providence, not only in the here and now by guiding me safely through some dangerous parts of Europe, but by showing me His faithfulness throughout the generations. It is my hope that He will continue His work in me and that I will be true to death to the faith of my fathers like the many saints of the Reformation.


1 Comments:
i hope you buy me a DSLR camera so you can hold it all the time and take awesome pictures with it that I will take credit for.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home