Stonehenge
“Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?”~Derek Smalls (This Is Spinal Tap)
I have not been blogging faithfully as I promised I would and for this I apologize. The last few weeks have been rigorous both academically and…well, let’s just say I am ready to leave Oxford behind and get my travel on son. I want to catch you up on all the exciting things that have happened over the last few weeks, so I will start where I left off.
On Friday, 23 March, I visited Old Serum, Salisbury, and Stonehenge. Old Serum is the remains of an ancient castle which I believe dates back to the Roman occupation in the first few centuries AD. I seldom pay attention to the facts because I am too impressed by the landscape to care, so excuse me if I’m wrong. All that is left of the castle now is a huge pile of dirt scattered with a few remains of what once was a great military embattlement. It was cool to walk around and try to imagine oneself in those early periods of British history, defending moats, firing arrows, going to the bathroom in a bucket and dumping it in a cesspit.
From Old Serum we moved on to the town of Salisbury. There you will find a pretty impressive cathedral and one of four of the earliest copies of Magna Carta. The cathedral was…a cool cathedral. I don’t really know how to describe them anymore. They are all so grand and of course filled with idols, but I only venerated the most important ones, so I should be good.
The day concluded with a trip to Stonehenge, by far one of the most awe-inspiring sites of the entire semester. It is one thing to hear about a place for your entire life and it is something much more extraordinary to view it with your own eyes, to stand only a few feet from something so old. My own opinion on Stonehenge is ludicrous of course. I believe that Merlin moved the stones there by magic and set them up as a Druid temple in the days of Morgan the Fay and the priestesses of Avalon, but that is just me and I could be wrong. I had a blast at Stonehenge. I would love to return some day, maybe dress myself in Celtic apparel, paint myself blue and run around screaming. But hey, I can do that back in the States.




I have not been blogging faithfully as I promised I would and for this I apologize. The last few weeks have been rigorous both academically and…well, let’s just say I am ready to leave Oxford behind and get my travel on son. I want to catch you up on all the exciting things that have happened over the last few weeks, so I will start where I left off.
On Friday, 23 March, I visited Old Serum, Salisbury, and Stonehenge. Old Serum is the remains of an ancient castle which I believe dates back to the Roman occupation in the first few centuries AD. I seldom pay attention to the facts because I am too impressed by the landscape to care, so excuse me if I’m wrong. All that is left of the castle now is a huge pile of dirt scattered with a few remains of what once was a great military embattlement. It was cool to walk around and try to imagine oneself in those early periods of British history, defending moats, firing arrows, going to the bathroom in a bucket and dumping it in a cesspit.
From Old Serum we moved on to the town of Salisbury. There you will find a pretty impressive cathedral and one of four of the earliest copies of Magna Carta. The cathedral was…a cool cathedral. I don’t really know how to describe them anymore. They are all so grand and of course filled with idols, but I only venerated the most important ones, so I should be good.
The day concluded with a trip to Stonehenge, by far one of the most awe-inspiring sites of the entire semester. It is one thing to hear about a place for your entire life and it is something much more extraordinary to view it with your own eyes, to stand only a few feet from something so old. My own opinion on Stonehenge is ludicrous of course. I believe that Merlin moved the stones there by magic and set them up as a Druid temple in the days of Morgan the Fay and the priestesses of Avalon, but that is just me and I could be wrong. I had a blast at Stonehenge. I would love to return some day, maybe dress myself in Celtic apparel, paint myself blue and run around screaming. But hey, I can do that back in the States.






3 Comments:
stonehenge=awesome
Pretty much, I loved this post. I laughed out loud. Merlin, loved it.
that must mean that eric=stonehenge because of the transitive property. mathematics, so...
marcy, ha. your comment made me laugh. "merlin loved it."...brilliant.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home