Day 4: Edinburgh with Bill
17 April 2007
I hate audio guides when sightseeing. I prefer human contact and thus was wonderfully delighted to have been recommended a long time resident of Edinburgh, Mr. William Anderson to accompany me through the city, explaining its history, social, civil and ecclesiastical. He told me to meet him in Edinburgh at 10:00.
On the phone, “I am a man of my word. When I say that I’ll be there, I’ll be there, though the buses may be late.”
Mr. Anderson was a tall fellow. I forgot where exactly I was supposed to meet him and what he was supposed to be wearing, but I have a keen sense of direction and am able to find things fairly easily. I saw a tall man, white-haired, wearing dark sunglasses and a tan trench coat. I had a sneaking suspicion it was him. I observed him for a few seconds and decided I had better make a move. He was standing in front of the National Gallery of Scotland, looking around and that’s when I approached him.
“Excuse me sir, but I am looking for a Mr. William Anderson.”
“Aye! Well hello Eric.” And the introductions continued.
There is really no way to write about our tour with Mr. Anderson. I can’t remember everything he told me, nor would I have the time to begin to record it. He was a fountain of knowledge and provided me with probably one of the best tours of my entire life. We walked about 6 miles and the 77 year old man kept pace with us the entire time. He gave us the compliment of saying that we were the best walkers he had ever been with and that is a lot coming from a man who I’m told stays ahead of all the groups he leads.
It was an extraordinary day and by the end of it I was exhausted.
I think I fell asleep as soon as I hit the pillow.
Edinburgh Castle
John Knox House
Horatius Bonar's (hymn writer) tomb

David Hume's grave
Mr. Anderson
I hate audio guides when sightseeing. I prefer human contact and thus was wonderfully delighted to have been recommended a long time resident of Edinburgh, Mr. William Anderson to accompany me through the city, explaining its history, social, civil and ecclesiastical. He told me to meet him in Edinburgh at 10:00.
On the phone, “I am a man of my word. When I say that I’ll be there, I’ll be there, though the buses may be late.”
Mr. Anderson was a tall fellow. I forgot where exactly I was supposed to meet him and what he was supposed to be wearing, but I have a keen sense of direction and am able to find things fairly easily. I saw a tall man, white-haired, wearing dark sunglasses and a tan trench coat. I had a sneaking suspicion it was him. I observed him for a few seconds and decided I had better make a move. He was standing in front of the National Gallery of Scotland, looking around and that’s when I approached him.
“Excuse me sir, but I am looking for a Mr. William Anderson.”
“Aye! Well hello Eric.” And the introductions continued.
There is really no way to write about our tour with Mr. Anderson. I can’t remember everything he told me, nor would I have the time to begin to record it. He was a fountain of knowledge and provided me with probably one of the best tours of my entire life. We walked about 6 miles and the 77 year old man kept pace with us the entire time. He gave us the compliment of saying that we were the best walkers he had ever been with and that is a lot coming from a man who I’m told stays ahead of all the groups he leads.
It was an extraordinary day and by the end of it I was exhausted.
I think I fell asleep as soon as I hit the pillow.
Edinburgh Castle
John Knox House
Horatius Bonar's (hymn writer) tomb
David Hume's grave
Mr. Anderson


1 Comments:
multiple postages!!
good to hear what you have been up to. keep taking landscape/historical location photogs...
enjoy!
ps spring has finally hit chicago!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home