Thursday, March 22, 2007

I Found Her, My Dream Girl

I’ve been through a few relationships with the opposite sex, not quite finding what I’m looking for in a girl. Coming to Oxford has changed all that. Of course, you will probably expect that I come back “in a relationship” status; you’ll expect her to come visit for Christmas break, meet all the friends, say hello to the family. Unfortunately, this isn’t really the case.

As part of the program I am on, I am required to do a 4 week course entitled British Landscapes. It is basically a survey of the history of Britain in four weeks, during which I have to write 3 case studies involving specific areas of interest to myself. I just finished one on King Arthur last night and began one on the English Reformation, more specifically the Oxford martyrs, today. I was delving into Foxe’s Book of Martyrs today and found this quote from Lady Jane Grey:

Upon interrogation by the Papal church, Lady Jane responds,
“…I ground my faith on God’s word and not upon the church. For if the church be a good church, the faith of the church must be tried by God’s word, and not God’s word by the church, nor yet my faith. Shall I believe the church because of antiquity? Or shall I give credit to the church that takes away from me the half part of the Lord’s Supper, and will not let any man receive it in both kinds?—which things if they refuse to us, then they refuse to us part of our salvation; and I say, that it is an evil church, and not the spouse of Christ, but the spouse of the devil, that alters the Lord’s Supper, and both takes from it, and adds to it. To that church, will he take their part out of the book of life, (Revelation 22:18). Do they learn that from St. Paul, when he administered to the Corinthians in both kinds? Shall I believe this church? God forbid.”

On the scaffold, before she is executed she says,
“Good people, I am come hither to die, and by a law I am condemned to the same. The fact against the queen’s highness was unlawful, and the consenting thereunto by me; but touching the procurement and desire thereof by me or on my behalf, I do wash my hands in innocency before God, and the face of you, good Christian people, this day. I pray you all to bear me witness that I die a true Christian woman, and that I do look to be saved by no other means, but only by the mercy of God in the blood of His Son Jesus Christ; and I confess that when I did know the word of God, I neglected the same, loved myself and the world, and therefore this punishment is happily and worthily come unto me for my sins; and yet I thank God that of his goodness he hath thus given me a time and respite to repent; and now, good people, while I am alive, I pray you assist me with your prayers.”

What I would give for a Reformed woman of this kind of beauty: grounded upon the Word of God, the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ, and a professed anti-Papist.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will have to get in line.
Hywell Jones has already professed his undying love to Lady Jane at WSC chapel several weeks ago.

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxigNvJxGn4

Entirely off topic and in no way related....but watch the WHOLE thing. Later.

10:11 PM  
Blogger eric said...

that youtube video is hilarious. thank you.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

I know your St. Patty's Day post was a while ago, but I thought I should let you know that I saw a guy wearing a No Innocent Victim shirt at the pub in Seattle on St. Patty's Day.

He told me about their final show - it's next week. See you there?

BTW, Moulin Rouge picture = awesome.

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home