Saturday, March 17, 2007

Cribs (Paris: Day 4)

Day 4 made me sympathize with the French Revolution more than I thought I ever could. I caught an early subway train out to the southwest of the city and at the end of the line got out to see the famous Palace of Versailles.

The Palace was made, for the most part, the capital of France under the reign of King Louis XIV, otherwise known as the “Sun King.” The Palace originally served as a hunting lodge for Louis XIII. When the young Louis XIV became king at the age of five, he fell in love with the palace at Versailles and commissioned landscapers and architects to transform the modest hunting lodge into an enormous palace able to house his royal court. It was in this palace where Benjamin Franklin visited Louis XVI to ask for France’s support during the War of Independence. It was also from here at the Château de Versailles where Louis XVI and his queen, Marie Antoinette, were taken and later executed by the mobs during the Revolution. The Treaty of Versailles between the Allied and Central powers which officially ended WWI was also signed in this palace.









I thought the Palace was incredible. Besides the massive structure of the palace itself, the gardens which stretch as far as the eye can see provided for a wonderful stroll on a warm day. Unfortunately, the outside of the palace, as well as the hall of mirrors were under renovation which is part of a $230 million project which will take about 15 years. I saw portions of the renovated palace and from the looks of it the palace will really reflect the glory that it had during Louis XIV’s reign. I suppose this was the only reason I may have for coming back to Paris someday.

Back to my justification of the French Revolution. After a visit to the palace of one of the richest of the European kings, I suppose I have more of a heart for the people of France who chose to revolt back in the late 18th century. I can’t imagine living under a ruler who, as Dickens wrote, had five full-time positions for men to prepare the king a cup of hot chocolate. Of course Dickens used a bit of hyperbole, but I don’t think, from what I saw, he was too far off from reality.

The first couple hours were spent with an audio guide through the royal chapel, the opera house, the king and queen’s apartments and the hall of mirrors. Later in the day, I was taken on a guided tour through the king’s personal apartments, bedroom, library, and study. It was definitely about six hours well spent.

After the Palace, I headed back to the city, but first briefly got off at Blanche on the subway to take a picture of Moulin Rouge which is a century old cabaret. I took the picture primarily because the movie featuring Ewan MacGregor and Nicole Kidman is popular and because Robs has on occasion left me voicemails with him singing “Come What May.” I was also thinking of Aaron, who I think likes this movie too, but that is only because he has a curious fascination with musicals (probably more than any grown man should). I personally hate the movie, but still love the song. Anyway, it was something I had to have a picture of.



“Never knew I could feel like this
Like I've never seen the sky before
Want to vanish inside your kiss
Everyday I love you more and more
Listen to my heart, can you hear it sings
Telling me to give you everything
Seasons may change winter to spring
But I love you until the end of time

Come what may, come what may
I will love you until my dying day

Suddenly the world seems such a perfect place
Suddenly it moves with such a perfect grace
Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste
It all revolves around you

And there's no mountain too high no river too wide
Sing out this song and I'll be there by your side
Storm clouds may gather and stars may collide
But I love you until the end of time

Come what may, come what may
I will love you until my dying day
Oh come what may, come what may
I will love you

Suddenly the world seems such a perfect place

Come what may, come what may
I will love you until my dying day.”

2 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

Aaron: We should be loveeeeeers!

Eric: We can't do that...

Aaron: We should be looooooveeeers! And that's a fact!

Eric: There's no way, cuz you can't pay...


So I like Moulin Rouge. Movie was weird, music was good. Come on, E, you know you cried when this song was played at my wedding...

3:48 PM  
Blogger eric said...

I shed a single tear, but it had nothing to do with the music...i love you.

2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home