Saturday, January 20, 2007

This Twitch Is Bananas...B-A-N-A-N-A-S

Not much has happened in the last few days, besides the internet not working since Friday...come on! I’ve been sorting through what lectures I’d like to attend from what lectures are actually worth attending. I’ve settled on a General Philosophy lecture for undergrads, The Doctrine of Creation, Normative Ethics, Kant’s Ethics, and probably Medieval Theories of the Eucharist. I tried out many more than this, but some are just, well, not worth attending.

In other news, I have decided to swap my primary and secondary tutorials, Philosophical Theology and C.S. Lewis. I am having much more fun reading Lewis than I imagined, and while philosophy is interesting, sometimes those big words just don’t impress me.

I have finished The Chronicles of Narnia and am making good progress on The Hobbit, which I haven’t read since 6th grade. It may be a mistake to admit this, but I cried in every single book of The Chronicles. I must get it from my mother. But seriously, the books were an absolute delight. Lewis has a profound, yet simplistic way of capturing wonderful theological theories into one sentence. I suppose that is why I enjoyed The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe more than the Lord of the Rings. Yes, the Lord of the Rings is a good story, even a great story, but the Narnia books are so much more profound and can capture the imaginations of such a wider audience. Besides that, they give so much hope, encouragement, and imagination to the Christian mind. I am a strong advocate of systematic theology, but I think it is important to realize God infinitely exceeds whatever greatness and glory we ascribe to Him and Lewis brings that to our attention.

Last night I had dinner at the Turf Tavern which is a pub that dates back to the 12th century and is probably more famously known for one of the locations where our former President, Bill Clinton was found smoking a cigar with an illegal substance of which he “did not inhale.”

I still hate bananas, but so far they seem to have healed the twitch.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the cronicles of narnia too, they pretty much rocked my world. I remember reading them and thinking, this man is genius, he's got all this theology in children's books. I love it.

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home