There The Men Are As Mad As He
In a few days, I leave for, what I hope to be, a great adventure. My life as a typical college student at a small south-suburban liberal arts college, studying Dutch philosophy, playing Starcraft, and watching re-runs of BBC’s The Office, is about to be transformed by an extraordinary opportunity to study in one of history’s most prestigious universities, Oxford. I’ve been informed that my place in Oxford has been preceded by such great names as Wycliffe, Locke, and Donne. While I don’t intend to follow in any of these giant footsteps, I do intend on seeing what kind of beer these great men used to quench their thirst after a long day of studies.
Many of you are aware of my old blog, and if you’re not, I’d prefer it stay that way so you will think better of me. But if this is your first time reading my online journaling, then welcome. My purpose for this blog is to record my thoughts, feelings, and activities in written form not only for a keepsake, but also for the pleasure and amusement of my family and friends. I’d love for as many of you as is possible to stay in touch, this blog is one of the primary ways you will be able to do just that.
Now that you’ve been introduced, it’s time to get down to blog business.
First things first, the title. I had the privilege of taking a course in Shakespeare a year ago and besides being my favorite class of all time (no offense Dr. Pierson, but reading Dooyeweerd can become a bit mundane:) ), I came away with a deep appreciation for history’s greatest playwright. While thinking of a title for my blog, I recalled to mind a small scene in Hamlet in which Hamlet has disguised himself and is discussing with a clown the fact that Hamlet has been sent away to England by his family. The conversation goes as follows:
Hamlet: Ay, marry, why was he sent into England?
Clown: Why, because he was mad: he shall recover his wits there; or, if he do not, it's no great matter there
Hamlet: Why?
Clown: 'Twill, a not be seen in him there; there the men are as mad as he.
I’m sure many of you will be hoping I come back to America appearing more mature, more intelligent, and a bit more sophisticated, but the reality is that I will probably return more cynical, less tolerant, and with a bit of a beer belly.
But on a serious note, I am looking forward to my time abroad. I hope many of you will keep in touch and keep me in your prayers as I seek to continue to learn about God, His world, and my place in it. You will all be missed, and I trust the feeling is mutual. As I embark on this endeavor, I am reminded of a ballad I often heard as a child. It comes from the animated movie The Hobbit and it reads as follows:
The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.
Today and tomorrow are yet to be said.
The chances, the changes are all yours to make.
The mold of your life is in your hands to break.
The greatest adventure is there if you're bold.
Let go of the moment that life makes you hold.
To measure the meaning can make you delay;
It's time you stop thinkin' and wasting the day.
The man who's a dreamer and never takes leave
Who thinks of a world that is just make-believe
Will never know passion, will never know pain.
Who sits by the window will one day see rain.
The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.
Today and tomorrow are yet to be said.
The chances, the changes are all yours to make.
The mold of your life is in your hands to break.
The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.
Oh look! My ugly mug on the first blog. This is my passport photo. I know I look like a convicted felon, but that's because the lady at Walgreens said I wasn't allowed to smile for passport photos.
Many of you are aware of my old blog, and if you’re not, I’d prefer it stay that way so you will think better of me. But if this is your first time reading my online journaling, then welcome. My purpose for this blog is to record my thoughts, feelings, and activities in written form not only for a keepsake, but also for the pleasure and amusement of my family and friends. I’d love for as many of you as is possible to stay in touch, this blog is one of the primary ways you will be able to do just that.
Now that you’ve been introduced, it’s time to get down to blog business.
First things first, the title. I had the privilege of taking a course in Shakespeare a year ago and besides being my favorite class of all time (no offense Dr. Pierson, but reading Dooyeweerd can become a bit mundane:) ), I came away with a deep appreciation for history’s greatest playwright. While thinking of a title for my blog, I recalled to mind a small scene in Hamlet in which Hamlet has disguised himself and is discussing with a clown the fact that Hamlet has been sent away to England by his family. The conversation goes as follows:
Hamlet: Ay, marry, why was he sent into England?
Clown: Why, because he was mad: he shall recover his wits there; or, if he do not, it's no great matter there
Hamlet: Why?
Clown: 'Twill, a not be seen in him there; there the men are as mad as he.
I’m sure many of you will be hoping I come back to America appearing more mature, more intelligent, and a bit more sophisticated, but the reality is that I will probably return more cynical, less tolerant, and with a bit of a beer belly.
But on a serious note, I am looking forward to my time abroad. I hope many of you will keep in touch and keep me in your prayers as I seek to continue to learn about God, His world, and my place in it. You will all be missed, and I trust the feeling is mutual. As I embark on this endeavor, I am reminded of a ballad I often heard as a child. It comes from the animated movie The Hobbit and it reads as follows:
The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.
Today and tomorrow are yet to be said.
The chances, the changes are all yours to make.
The mold of your life is in your hands to break.
The greatest adventure is there if you're bold.
Let go of the moment that life makes you hold.
To measure the meaning can make you delay;
It's time you stop thinkin' and wasting the day.
The man who's a dreamer and never takes leave
Who thinks of a world that is just make-believe
Will never know passion, will never know pain.
Who sits by the window will one day see rain.
The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.
Today and tomorrow are yet to be said.
The chances, the changes are all yours to make.
The mold of your life is in your hands to break.
The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.
Oh look! My ugly mug on the first blog. This is my passport photo. I know I look like a convicted felon, but that's because the lady at Walgreens said I wasn't allowed to smile for passport photos.


5 Comments:
Inside paper... inside the paper bin.
I was totally there when you took that picture. I'll see you soon in London.
eric i'll miss you .. don't worry about going away to another country nothing bad can happen just take me for example love ya homes and you know get that money up there not cause you are at oxford means taht you can't be a go getter aight..
eric-
nice blog. don't worry, i'll be a faithful reader. maybe i'll even update my own if anything exciting happens in '07
yo eric whats happening brah i hope your enjoying yourself in england brah i'm back at school and so not loving it... anyhow just drooping by to see whats good aight...
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home