Thursday, April 26, 2007

When In Rome...

If you can ever avoid staying over might in the Liverpool John Lennon Airport, then do that. Our plane arrived from Inverness at about six in the evening and our flight out to Rome was not until six in the morning. I have never stayed overnight in an airport and I certainly don’t look forward to repeating the experience. But that is what you get for being a single guy trying to save a buck or two.

I, along with the other airport overnighters, kept being herded across the airport by cleaning crews and uptight employees. Wandering like cattle, I found it hard to get more than 30 minutes sleep at a time. Of course, this was all before I watched Manchester United make an incredible comeback against Milan over an overpriced beer in an airport café. I really have grown to love soccer.

Tired, a little smelly, that horrible feeling of “I need to brush my teeth ASAP before someone thinks I have been gnawing on a rotting corpse” starts to take over and you become angry. We found that both our backpacks were too heavy and that RyanAir changes the weight limit for different flights. In Inverness, they were fine. Flying to Rome, they were too heavy. We sacrificed some food, a jar of peanut butter and loaded a massive carry-on and made the best of the situation. Thankfully, we didn’t have to pay.

The plane to Rome takes about two and a half hours. As I said, I was in an ill mood, so I really don’t remember most of it, besides me bad-mouthing the flight attendants in my head because they didn’t serve complimentary soft drinks. I guess that’s what you get when you fly Europe’s self-proclaimed cheapest airlines.

The plane landed in Ciapamino??? A town outside of Rome. It is warm here, very warm. The Mediterranean feels great. Very much like a nice San Diego day, maybe a little more humid.

Arrived safely into the city centre and arrived at our hostel, the Mona Lisa. It makes one wander who named this hostel and why did they call it the Mona Lisa. As far as I know, the Mona Lisa has nothing to do with Rome and is in fact in Paris (been there, done that, next). The hostel is pretty decent for the price I paid. It is right in the middle of the action. Just north of the Coliseum, a little southeast of the Pantheon and a greater distance southeast of the Vatican.

Upon getting settled, I hit the streets of one of Europe’s greatest cities, but that is for another blog post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home