Thursday, April 19, 2007

Day 3: From Newcastle to Edinburgh

16 April 2006

I realize that the blog post don’t exactly correlate with the date. For example, I ended the last blog post about the 15th of April on the 16th of April. It is a small inaccuracy and partly due to the fact that I have been unable to find internet for my laptop. The internet which has been provided costs money and is slower than dial-up (a brilliant scam these Europeans are running!). But lets get back to my travels.

We left the hostel in the afternoon and made our way down to the coach station. Right next to the station was a crummy looking pub called “The Dog” which I believe is the nickname for Newcastle Brown Ale. So far on the Newcastle trip I had been unable to find Brown Ale on draft and was told it actually did not exist on tap anywhere. A sneaking suspicion came upon Alex that this may be the place to find it. Doubtful, I walked in and asked if they served it. The bartender said that the ‘Trenthouse’ was the only place he knew of that served Brown Ale. He gave me shoddy, misunderstood directions and I disappointedly began to make my way out of the pub. A younger guy drinking a pint stopped me and asked where I was trying to go, I explained the situation and he said that he knew the place and wouldn’t mind taking us up to the pub considering it was his day off.

His name was Sean and he appeared to be in his early thirties. A skinny fellow, a little over six feet with dark hair. He told us a bit about the city, the old Newcastle brewery, the Newcastle Soccer team, Chinatown, gambling law in the UK, and a many other little details that only a resident would know. He brought us to the Trenthouse and there I drank Brown Ale on tap. Wasn’t as good as it is bottled. The bottle has more flavor.

We chatted with Sean over a pint and then made our way back to the coach station to catch the 4:20 coach to Edinburgh.

The ride from Newcastle goes mainly along the coast and provides for an astounding view of England’s shores to the east. We arrived in Edinburgh a couple hours later and began the phase of readjustment to our new city.

I often find that being in a new city is one of the most discouraging things in the world. You have no idea where you are, everyone is foreign, and you haven’t a clue how to get to your next destination. But Edinburgh is a wonderful place. Without asking, I had three people ask me, out of the blue, if I needed help. This corresponds with the rest of my trip in Edinburgh, as I’ve noticed the people here are friendlier and a lot more relaxed than their English brethren.

The 42 bus takes you out to Marine Drive where our hostel was located. It is right on the coast, secluded among a forest of trees. I think I will like this city.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home