I Don't Have a Problem
I was on a rocky road this week with my philosophy tutorial. My subject this week was the Problem of Evil. I found myself struggling over many different texts and articles trying to find an adequate solution to the problem, when I came to the realization that most of the stuff I was reading was either blatantly against Scripture, or just made me feel uncomfortable. I decided it best to go straight to the Source for my answer, and I thought I might share it with you. But of course, that would give you all the easy answers after I spent hours pondering and researching over it. So instead, I’ll tell you what I learned from him who said it best:
Job says: “The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised.”
In a roundabout way, this was my solution. Call me un-philosophical or irrational, but giving God’s Word as an answer is probably the best way to go about any problem. I was a little hesitant to meet with my tutor at first and approach the subject from the way I thought it should be approached, but I found that meeting with my tutor helped flush out a lot of the problems with popular “answers” to the problem. It’s not an easy thing, being a “sola Scriptura” Christian, and oftentimes I find myself expressing my lack of knowledge in a great many areas. But I have found that insufficient knowledge concerning something is not always a bad thing. If anything, it makes me see my need of searching the Scriptures daily. Besides that, I think it’s better to just admit incomprehensibility, than do damage to the Word, as many philosophers seem to have done.
I found myself wrestling with the Problem of Evil this week, but I have discovered how Great a God we have; a God in control of the good and the bad. From the greatest evil, He brings about the Greatest Good i.e. His glory and the redemption of His people.
Job says: “The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised.”
In a roundabout way, this was my solution. Call me un-philosophical or irrational, but giving God’s Word as an answer is probably the best way to go about any problem. I was a little hesitant to meet with my tutor at first and approach the subject from the way I thought it should be approached, but I found that meeting with my tutor helped flush out a lot of the problems with popular “answers” to the problem. It’s not an easy thing, being a “sola Scriptura” Christian, and oftentimes I find myself expressing my lack of knowledge in a great many areas. But I have found that insufficient knowledge concerning something is not always a bad thing. If anything, it makes me see my need of searching the Scriptures daily. Besides that, I think it’s better to just admit incomprehensibility, than do damage to the Word, as many philosophers seem to have done.
I found myself wrestling with the Problem of Evil this week, but I have discovered how Great a God we have; a God in control of the good and the bad. From the greatest evil, He brings about the Greatest Good i.e. His glory and the redemption of His people.

2 Comments:
I like Sproul, but I found a certain President of Westminster a lot more helpful.
RCs tape of the month for 1/07 is entitled "The Problem of Evil" in which he asks,"Why must a loving God prevent evil? How is the entrance of sin into the world inconsistant with God's own purpose of glorifying himself?"
"There was a fall because God is good and God is all powerful. God would not allow wickedness into his world if his intent in it was not good".
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home