Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The Dawkins' Delusion

“I am the way and the truth and the life.”~Jesus Christ

I attended two “special” lectures today. Neither lectures were held throughout the term, rather they were both special events put on by both a club and a church in Oxford.

The first was a lecture on truth, or rather the Truth, Jesus Christ by Ravi Zacharias, a notable preacher who is from what one person said “booked something like 350 days out of the year for the next ten years;” more than likely an exaggeration, but probably not far from the truth from my experience today. I’ll give a more in depth account of his sermons when they are finished. It is a three day event and won’t be finished until Thursday.

This evening I went to St. Ebbes church to hear Professor Alister McGrath give a talk on Richard Dawkins’ recent book “The God Delusion.” McGrath is a well-known evangelical in Britain and the States and has a DPhil in something like Molecular Physics or something, but is currently teaching historical Christian theology at the University of Oxford.

His talk was only about 50 minutes long to a packed out crowd at the church, probably well over 600 people. I think the basic thrust of his argument was questioning the underlying presuppositions in Dawkins’ rather dogmatic and militant atheism. I haven’t read the book, and really don’t care to (I find that I have better things to do with my time), so McGrath could have been way off, but I’m supposing that someone with a background in science and a professorship at Oxford has to mean something.

From what I gathered, Christians really have nothing to fear from Dawkins’ book. I must admit when I first saw the title in a book store back in the States, I was a little frightened. But these attacks against Christendom have been here since the beginning, and by God’s grace, we have nothing to fear. What Dawkins fails to realize is that in challenging religion in the general sense, he has condemned himself. Atheism too is a religion; a faith in ultimately something that is non-dependent.

McGrath, though with little time, was effectual in challenging the underlying tectonics which account for what Dawkins advocates. It was also interesting to hear that many in the scientific community, even well-known atheists, shun Dawkins and think he is an embarrassment to atheism.

I’ve been finding it interesting that the more I learn about all these academic types (such as Dawkins), the more I stand amazed at the wisdom of God. He really has made the foolishness of the world wise and the wisdom of this world foolish. To think that a man like Dawkins has spent his entire life devoted to a worthless cause, makes me at one time pity the man, but then also rejoice in the fact that God has chosen an undeserving person as myself to impart the riches of His grace; to begin to see the world through the lens of the Word. How great Thou art.

Psalm 2

Why do the nations conspire
and the peoples plot in vain?

The kings of the earth take their stand
and the rulers gather together
against the LORD
and against his Anointed One.

“Let us break their chains," they say,
"and throw off their fetters."

The One enthroned in heaven laughs;
the Lord scoffs at them.

Then he rebukes them in his anger
and terrifies them in his wrath, saying,

I have installed my King
on Zion, my holy hill."

I will proclaim the decree of the LORD:
He said to me, "You are my Son;
today I have become your Father.

Ask of me,
and I will make the nations your inheritance,
the ends of the earth your possession.

You will rule them with an iron scepter;
you will dash them to pieces like pottery."

Therefore, you kings, be wise;
be warned, you rulers of the earth.

Serve the LORD with fear
and rejoice with trembling.

Kiss the Son, lest he be angry
and you be destroyed in your way,
for his wrath can flare up in a moment.
Blessed are all who take refuge in him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home